Reason(s) For Missing Option

Thread: Reason(s) For Missing Option

Question Reason(s) For Missing Option

I do not seem to have the Sharing tab available when I right-click my Dial-up Connection and select Properties. The others, General, Options, Security, and Networking are all there. Any suggestions on why this is. My Dial-up Connection is working alright.

If what you are attempting to do is share your Internet connection with other computers in your house or business, that is not how you do it.

For a detailed outline of what to do and how to set it all up, go here.
    Experience: Something you don't get until 10 minutes after you needed it.

For the moment I am simply trying to find out why the Sharing tab is missing and how to make it appear. Other suggestions?

------------------

Update: Someone told me that the reason is that I don't have a NIC in my computer. Can someone confirm this? Also, is this also the reason why the option of making a file available Offline is not there?
    Last edited by Rubicone; August 19th, 2002 at 02:52 PM.

You don't see a sharing tab because you can't directly share a dial-up connection. When you share your Internet Connection, it, in essence, shares your dial-up connection.

If that still doesn't explain what you needed to know, Tell us exactly what are you trying to accomplish...

I was simply doing some reading and saw this point the author was making about Sharing so when I looked at the Properties of my dial-up connection mystified why I did not have it. Originally, I thought it was because I did not have a NIC but was told otherwise, so ended up posting here to see if anyone knew.

You were correct in your original assumption, the sharing tab does not appear in the properties for a dial-up network connection unless you have a NIC card as well. The logic is that there's no way to share the connection if you're not connected to an internal network, so there's no point in offering it.

If you've got a NIC or other network adapter you can pop into your system, you'll see the tab appear.

Hope this helps...

KV

I wonder why I am to share my printer though?

Simply put, the operating system recognizes that you cannot share your Internet (dial up connection) without a network card being present on your computer because there is no one you could share it to without the additional network card to share it through. Recognizing that, the operating system doesn't show the option to do so.

On the other hand, a printer or file folder can be shared to Internet users (which I wouldn't sugggest) without the use of anything beyond your dial up connection, so it makes that option available.

Thread Information