file protection says "Wrong CD" but it's the right CD

Thread: file protection says "Wrong CD" but it's the right CD

Threaded View

file protection says "Wrong CD" but it's the right CD

When I boot up, a window named "Windows File Protection" pops up, saying "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows 2000 Professional CD now." I insert the CD, click on Retry, and another window pops up saying it's the wrong CD. I go thru this several times, always the same result.

It is definitely the right CD, the same one I loaded W2000pro from 2 months ago.

I can explore the CD, so the cdrom seems to be working.

I just recently was infected with CodeRed. Since then I have installed SP2 and a bunch of critical updates, uninstalled IIS, uninstalled indexing, installed and uninstalled ZoneAlarm, changed a security template, and copied some device drivers over to another drive. Other than that it's been business as usual, except that when I installed ZoneAlarm, boot up took forever (6 minutes CPU time for Winlogon), so I uninstalled it and now I'm back to the usual boot up speed.

Is any of this related to this incorrect "Wrong CD" message? Why must files be copied to the DLL cache? I do not even know what a DLL cache is. Please be explicit in any replies, I don't know my way around W2000 very well.

Thanks,

jm

dual boot 98fe, W2000pro
    HP Pavilion 8380
    Pentium II 400, 96 megs
    Last edited by juliemass; August 20th, 2002 at 02:44 AM.

Thread Information