cpu upgrade question

Thread: cpu upgrade question

cpu upgrade question

I bought a gigabyte GA 72x mom board about 2 years ago... and it is running at a bus of 133mhz, sdram 133mhz and a duron 700 100mhz overclocked at 133mhz. If I said that right. I need a little speed boost and am looking to jump it up as high as I can get it without replacing anything but the chip. *Sigh* i cant find my old manual and the other online site I found is in German OR Dutch... anyway I can't read it. I remember I bought the cheap board and chip because it was what was in my budget at the time, I also remember the thunderbirds and athlons were big then also and there were faster ones out there that would fit in the board... a socket A I think. I was think was one 1gig chip but I can't remember. So what I'm asking for is if anyone knows the faster cpu I can put into my existing board?

Are you sure that's not supposed to be "Gigabyte GA 7Zxx" (fx. GA 7ZMM) mobo..? There's no trace of any "GA 72xx" boards at Gigabyte's site...

IF it's 7Zxx, then you should be clear to at least a 1 GHz processor - maybe even higher, but you'll have to ask Gigabyte about that as it will probably require a bios upgrade and I can't see what higher speeds the will give except for "New AMD CPU support" ( Gigabyte support )
    Karl, Denmark
    ---------
    "..and may The Force be with you - too..."

Okay I did some looking into things and I think I'm almost there. Okay it is the GA-7ZX board with a via 133 chip set and a clock generator that goes from 100 to `133 mhz system bus speeds. If the research is correct that should mean I can slap in almost any athlon socket a cpu, with either a 200FBS or a 266FBS. Is this correct?

I finally found my manual and it shows you how to change the dips switch to change the bus speed but the only example of setting up processors is a THunderbird and it's it only need pc100 ram and runs with a 200FSB.

I'm thinkin supports sd133ram. the board is clockable up to 133bus, it must support the 266FSB cpu, with a bios update.
    I tried to email the makers of the board,giga byte, to confirms this but they still haven't reply yet.

Any replies are helpfull.

Profector

If the PCB rev. # is 5.1 or higher it'll take an AMD XP2200+ http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/support/viakt133.htm#link7zx

Manual

Thread Information