power problem with new system?

Thread: power problem with new system?

power problem with new system?

I just put together a completely new system comprising of a p4 2.26 533mhz fsb, an Asus P4T533-C motherboard, visiontek geforce4 ti 4400 graphics card, soundblaster audigy gamer sound card...anyway...I believe there is a short in my power supply. I am using the 250w power supply of my old computer and when I plug it in, the computer powers up automatically. It is incapable of turning off without shutting off the power supply. There is no output as far as graphical display, response to mouse, or keyboard lights. If I replace the power supply with a new Raidmax 400w the short should be solved, but will this solve the lack of output problem? Could that be caused by improper voltage from the power supply?

Hi jrc976, Welcome to VirDr. Was the old power supply working before you put it in the new rig? Does the power supply match your new components. ATX to ATX for example. Then check out the motherboard to see if it is shorting out by touching the case. Does the CPU fan come on after you have done the other things? What we are looking for is something simple that was overlooked.

You might post the specs of your old power supply.

Does you old power supply (PSU) have the special 4-pin 12 volt connector needed for P4 systems? That would explain the lack of response.....
    Karl, Denmark
    ---------
    "..and may The Force be with you - too..."

The P4 requires a second plug for the motherboard. Only ps compatable will have it.

EDIT:
    This might help
    Last edited by Train; June 13th, 2002 at 08:36 PM.

There are adapter cables made to provide the P4 plug if your power supply is pre p4. I have seen them at cyberguys.com and a few other places.

"Upgrade to a Pentium 4 motherboard without buying a new power supply! This adapter cable allows you to connect a standard 4-pin Molex power connector to the special onboard 4-pin P4 power connector. · 12" long
    · A "must" for any Pentium 4 motherboard upgrade

Item# 113 0265 " price is about $9.00+ shipping.

Myself, would perfer a new power supply with more wattage.
    If you think AOL sucks just try MSN to see really bad service.

The old power supply I had did not have the molex cable, but I was uncertain as to whether or not it was requred. I saw something in the motherboard specs that said you can use your old power supply. I have ordered a new Raidmax 400w power supply that says it is p4 compatible. I will try this out when it comes in. If this doesn't solve it, I'll probably put up a new thread. Thanks for your imput.

Thread Information