no audio

Thread: no audio

no audio

I have an intel se440bx-2 motherboard pentium III 450 processor. (windows 98) I am using the onboard audio on the motherboard. I recently re-installed windows 98 and now I can't get audio. When I go to multimedia to look at the audio, it is grey and I can't do anything. I recently installed the latest yamaha driver but the yamaha gameport is not showing up under audio devices and not in the dropdown menu under the audio tab. Any ideas??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

The first thing you should probably try is to go to your device manager (in control panel>sytem) and delete any reference to any sound card under "sound and video game controlers" (or the equivelent in win98). Just delete everything under that heading. Then reboot and let windows detect the card. Also if your using onboard audio does it come with a driver that is on the disc that came with your motherboard. Seeing as you did a clean install of windows (right) then you have to load all the drivers for your mb as well, audio included.

------------------
    "Sarcasm is sometimes difficult to express, and is often subtle"

Originally posted by evilbradpitt:
    The first thing you should probably try is to go to your device manager (in control panel>sytem) and delete any reference to any sound card under "sound and video game controlers" (or the equivelent in win98). Just delete everything under that heading. Then reboot and let windows detect the card. Also if your using onboard audio does it come with a driver that is on the disc that came with your motherboard. Seeing as you did a clean install of windows (right) then you have to load all the drivers for your mb as well, audio included.

I tried what you said. I have the same problem. The device is listed in the device manager but not under multimedia. In answer to your question about the drivers. I don't have the disk for the audio driver but I downloaded the latest from intel. Any other ideas....

If memory serves me correctly regarding onboard audio you have to find out what chipset the card uses (consult your mb manual) and then get THE EXACT driver. If you downloaded the correct diver from intel it should work. Silly question but are you sure none of the audio controls are set to "mute"?

------------------

Originally posted by evilbradpitt:
    If memory serves me correctly regarding onboard audio you have to find out what chipset the card uses (consult your mb manual) and then get THE EXACT driver. If you downloaded the correct diver from intel it should work. Silly question but are you sure none of the audio controls are set to "mute"?
    I am pretty sure I have the right driver(it was the only audio driver available for this mother board) and I am sure the audio controls are not set to mute because I can't even get to them. Everything is greyed out. When I go thru the start menu to the audio controls and click on volume control nothing opens. Any other ideas????? I am pretty frustrated at this point, but I really appreciate your input. I thought I had something going with the first thing you had me try.

It definitely sounds like the driver is not installed correctly. How did you install it? You should install it by going to your device manager, locating the card, clicking on it going to the field that says "driver", then "update driver", tell the computer which folder the downloaded driver file is in (specifically the inf. file). Maybe when you downloaded the file there was an exe. file that you clicked on that gave you the impression you were actually installing the driver (some can be installed like that, but I've had difficulties in the past). If you havent already, I would try deleting the reference to your card in device manager again, reboot, and then use the above method to install the driver.

Also, just because we're brainstorming here, are you sure that the onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS?

------------------

[This message has been edited by evilbradpitt (edited 12-09-2001).]

I double checked the bios and yes they were on. As far as the driver goes, I did exactly what you said through the device manager but once again came up empty. Perhaps I am choosing the wrong device. My computer is not detecting new hardware and I am choosing it myself. I have been choosing yamaha and then installing the drivers but I am going to double check the specs on my motherboard again and see if I can find something there. I REALLY appreciate your input. I am going to try the install again and hope for the best, from what you have told me, it sounds like the driver may be the problem. It seems to find the file it is looking for every time in the folder I extracted the files too though. Anyway, wish me luck!

Good Luck

------------------

billyjoey,

Hi there,

Im no expert on computers but I can tell you something from my own experience.

When I set up my mobo I had to set the jumper to enable onboard sound.
    Is it set correctly ? It will show what pins in manual.
    This is just my two cents...

Good luck

Bud1110

------------------
    Broke again, Hmmmmmm....

I will have a look but I think it is. Thanks

Thread Information