Strange freezing problem, what do you think?

Thread: Strange freezing problem, what do you think?

Hybrid View

Strange freezing problem, what do you think?

I built a new system last August, with a 1.4 Ghz Athlon, Epox 8KHA mobo, 256mb DDR, Geforce2 GTS, 20Gb ATA100 HD, and an Iomega 8x4x32 CDRW and DVDROM as 2nd channel master and slave, respectively. It is running Win98 fe.

The system ran flawlessly for two months. Then I started having random freezing, which required a reset to fix. Sometimes it would freeze right after booting, sometimes it would run for hours before freezing.

I tried all the usual fixes: checked for overheating, disabled all startup programs, changed video drivers, etc, but it didn't help. Finally, during one restart I noticed that the 2nd IDE channel devices weren't being found. So I did some experimenting:
    • Made DVD the master and CDRW the slave: system froze.
    • Made CDRW the only device on the 2nd channel: system froze.
    • Made DVD the only device on the 2nd channel: No freezing!

Aha, I thought, I have a bad CDRW. So I called the good folks at Iomega, and they kindly agreed to replace my drive under warranty. For the two weeks that the CDRW was removed, the system ran perfectly again. Yesterday I got the replacement CDRW, and plugged it in (as master, with DVD as slave.) It worked great until today - yep, the freezing is back!
    So now what? Could I possibly have a bad IDE controller on the mobo? Or what do you all think?

------------------
    "I'm not a real doctor, I just play one on VDr!"

Hmmm... If this post is related your other one regarding the CD & HD on the same channel, and you have no problems with only the DVD drive on the channel, I would tend to think that there is some sort of incompatibility somewhere. If your IDE channel was to blame, you should have problems with almost any device attached to it, especially hard drives or DVD drives. If the PC only freezes with the IOmega CD-RW drive attached (either as the only drive, or 1 of 2), then the problem has to be related to that drive. It may be that the IDE controller or driver and the IOmega interface just don't get along. I know they should be compatible, but this isn't a perfect world and even the best manufacturers can't test their products with every possible hardware combination. If you have a different CD-ROM or CD-RW drive you could test on that IDE channel, that might help to narrow down the problem. Or, it might be time for that extra IDE controller card.

Hi jdc, yes this is related to my other post. I have just switched the DVD to the primary channel; it's working for the moment. I don't have a different CDRW to try. I'd hate to have to get an IDE controller card for a brand new PC.

The thing that puzzles me is that it was fine for a couple of months. The CDRW also was working fine in my old PC.

------------------

Byteman Guest
    You have probably already done this, but will send it for possible help to someone else: I've repaired a few machines, some with Intel chipsets, others, that the mobo's manufacturer required a certain IDE PCI Hard Disk Controller- the latest one is on a Shuttle HOT-637 board with the Intel chipset- they don't want the Intel controller used, and state that the Microsoft standard one should be used. I switched, and the performance seemed to suffer- but, what else could I do, they flat out said you shouldn't use the Intel one, which was running fine for the people who own the computer??????
    There may be some reason yours quit- I've seen several problems involving various Hard Disk controllers- make sure you have the primary and second IDE contollers as a "dual FIFO" there are some you have to "fix", also some that are required to be the same "brand" as the Primary IDE Bus Master one- shouldn't use the 'standard' ones- check the chipset's driver site, motherboard manual online, their site, etc for help.
    Guess you would have spotted this, too, but could there possibly be jumpers (not too likely these days) on some of those drives that don't agree with change in configuration? Cables, too..... power supply not adequate.... temp...... drivers..... what else???

------------------
    The Search archives on this board contain about 60,000,000 dollars worth of information- load it all on your spare computer and use it to fix the other one.

Dickster,

I have almost the same system a 1.4 Ghz Athlon, Epox 8KHA mobo, 384mb DDR, Geforce2 MX400 64mb, 40gb ibm ATA100 HD, and an Aopen 16x10x32CDRW(2nd channel slave) and Sony CDROM( 2nd channel master) and have experienced the samething a few times.....but thought it was just a glitch....happens maybe once a month...wonder if it is the same problem you are having?

Byteman,

The primary and second IDE contollers as a "dual FIFO" are the default settings in bios.

------------------

http://www.amazingtechs.com/

The chipset is Via KT266, using the Via driver. One thing I noticed, the date on the driver is 8/21/2000; maybe there is a better version out there, I'll check with Via. Control panel says the IDE is dual FIFO. I have also changed the data cable, I didn't mention that before.

Anyway, it has been running fine all today since I switched the DVD to the primary channel. I'm keeping my finger crossed. I'm also planning to upgrade to XP soon, so that might fix it if it is a Windows glitch.

------------------

Thread Information