Hook Up 2 HDD, 1 CD-RW & 1 DVD

Thread: Hook Up 2 HDD, 1 CD-RW & 1 DVD

Hook Up 2 HDD, 1 CD-RW & 1 DVD

Hey all !

I'm trying to add a DVD to my system that already holds 2 Hard Drives and a CD-RW. I tried various combinations with my IDE cable but I can't get the DVD and the CD-RW to work at the same time.

Can somebody help me ?

If both CD drives are on the same IDE channel, one must be set as master and the other as slave using the jumpers in the back.

------------------
    "I'm not a real doctor, I just play one on VDr!"

Hey thanks, i'll check that out

Is there a difference between the two plugs on the IDE cable ? Is one for the master and the other one for slave or can I plug either one in either device ?

I don't believe it matters except for ATA-100 hard drives, in which case the cable is clearly marked anyway. My system has 2 CDs on the 2nd channel, and I didn't connect them in any special order.

------------------

Is there any way to know the corrct jumper settings ? My CD-RW drive is a Ricoh 7083a and my dvd is a Pionner 10x both sets of jumpers are 6 pins and one plastic thing that can cover 2 pins at once

Well, the plastic thing is the jumper. If you have two parallel rows of three pins, the jumper should bridge across the rows. Look for letters printed next to the pins, or maybe molded in the plastic.

M = master
    S = slave

I forget what the third choice is (maybe C?)

Also if you check the manufacturer's web sites, they may have jumper information.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dickster (edited 09-25-2001).]

Hey !

Thanks for your help ! I could set the jumper properly and now everything works just FINE !

I was wondering though : is there some optimal way of pluging in all those devices to prevent system slow down for exemple ?

You'll get more than one opinion for this i'm sure. The standard way if your board has two IDE connectors: HDD#1,set jumper to master and connect to end of IDE cable. HDD#2,set jumper to slave and connect to center connector of cable.Plug cable to Primary board connector.Make sure you have red stripe on cable toward pin#1 both on drives and on board connector.

CD-ROM drives: CD-RW,set jumper to master and connect to end connector of cable.DVD(or,CD-ROM) drive,set jumper to slave and use middle connector.Connect cable to Secondary IDE connector.Again,watch red stripe/pin1 connection.

The other config for jumper would be "park"(not used) and "CS/cableselect" used with 40pin/80 conductor ATA cables and some OEM set-ups.

Only thing i would add is with the above connections,if your going to rip a CD(music),rip it to drive first then burn it. Having drives(CD-ROM/RW on same cable and trying to rip directly from CD to CD-RW can cause problems.

If you have a board with 4 connectors(built-in ATA100 for instance) it's a whole 'nuther story...

------------------
    God Bless America!!
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

Hey Thanks Ridgerunr!

I plugged it in the way you suggested and it works just fine ! You were right about ripping directly from CD-ROM though : I tried and it gave me some trouble regarding the pauses less than 2 sec long. On the other hand, ripping from HDD does the trick pretty well.

Thanks again for your help everybody !

Thread Information