Entire desktop shifted on monitor

Thread: Entire desktop shifted on monitor

Entire desktop shifted on monitor

My entire desktop has shifted to the right on my monitor - so there is a *large* black vertical empty area on the far left. This doesn't have to do with the dials that move a desktop/screen up/down, left/right - I've tried those.
    Any clues? This happened months ago so I don't have much more to go on than that. I don't know the original cause.

my grandma's PC does the same thing.
    Probably because its old or mis-use or a factory defect. Contact the company who made that screen and see if there is a way to do a screen test or re-callibrate the settings.

------------------
    I'm Happy! are You?
    I'm Happy! are You?

jtmurphy Guest
    Check to make sure you have the latest video drivers for your video card. Also, are the controls for the monitor on the front or is it an older monitor with the ones on the back that you have to use a screw driver to rotate the knob?

If this is an older monitor, it is probably the monitor itself and could just need a good cleaning and adjustment (Professionally).

Murf

------------------
    Murphy's Law- it will go wrong, but we can fix it!!

jesseb Guest
    Does this happen when you start WIN95 in SAFE mode and/or when at Command prompt only (not MSDOS in Windows). Is there any distortion associated with this problem? If so, then the monitor is at fault.

If it does turn out to be the monitor, the repair costs will be about 2/3 the cost of a new one.

Did you install directx and then go in dxdiad to manually adjust the refresh rate generated by your video card? That could cause that problem to happen.

This can happen when the video card and monitor itself are trying to use a different refresh rate. Match the refresh rates (try 60 mhz) and the problem bar will disappear. This is common with older monitors and newer vidcards. Raptor

------------------
    When your mind says " I'm sure this will work", STOP IMMEDIATELY, and ask your friends at VirtualDr.

When your mind says " I'm sure this will work", STOP IMMEDIATELY, and ask your friends at VirtualDr.

Originally posted by raptor241:
    This can happen when the video card and monitor itself are trying to use a different refresh rate. Match the refresh rates (try 60 mhz) and the problem bar will disappear. This is common with older monitors and newer vidcards. Raptor

This is undoubtably my problem. In display properties I have tried Optimal, Default, and a fixed refresh. Am I setting the monitor or adapter here? How do I fix them both at 85Hz (max for my Nokia 447Xi max rez of 1280x1024)

That happens to my screen when I change the resolution. Some of the settings like 720x565 and 720x480 make my entire desktop shift to the left. Maybe you should tr different resolutions until you find one that works for you. If you insist on using the resolution, use the vertical shift on the monitor itself.
    Far_fetch's Golden Rule: "Help others and hopefully others will help you!"

Have you tried adjusting the view size of your monitor that can be adjusted with the buttons on your monitor. Not just move left and right but have you tried expanding it horizontally and vertically?

Smile Same Issue - Solved!

I just had the same issue as the vertical black space, down the right side of my screen and came to this forum for answers.

Thank you to whoever said...adjust the monitor settings with the buttons on the monitor. Ive been going crazy through all the internal settings to figure it out and I guess its easy to get lost in the machine!!

must have accidentally hit the switch when i tried to pull my laptop cable out from behind my PC.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same dilemma!

Thank you peeps!

J

Welcome to the site,im glad you found an answer so quickly!!

Please feel free to stick round

Smile Entire desktop shifted on monitor

Quote Originally Posted by jonm4y View Post
    I just had the same issue as the vertical black space, down the right side of my screen and came to this forum for answers.

Thank you to whoever said...adjust the monitor settings with the buttons on the monitor. Ive been going crazy through all the internal settings to figure it out and I guess its easy to get lost in the machine!!

must have accidentally hit the switch when i tried to pull my laptop cable out from behind my PC.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same dilemma!

Thank you peeps!

J
    Just to let everyone know - the following helped me:
    I have eMachines Monitor 181H. Been going crazy with their display which lays ON TOP of windows, therefore can't use cursor on it.
    Also having same problem as you guys - screen shifted so far right couldn't use right scrollbar. I found site called "manualowl.com" which had a manual for my monitor(Pdf). I just clicked on 1 sentence in the manual and the screen righted itself! Shifting of the screen was DEFINITELY caused by the monitor in my case.
    Marilyn

Thread Information