Bistro...

Thread: Bistro...

Bistro...

What search engine do you use? You alway seem to find relavant links to just about anything...

------------------
    Don't click this!!!
    My Side Yard Cam
    Do'nt take a Shock Rifle to a Flak Cannon fight...

I use Google when I need it...the ONLY search engine. The trick is to know what key words to use.
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

I guess I need more practice at the keyword thing... I use google too...

------------------
    Don't click this!!!
    My Side Yard Cam

Well...it's like this: If someone asks "Why is my AUR238-566 Alpha Re-writable Gravity Processor overheating?", then I go to Google and type in the keywords: "What in tarnation is an overheated AUR238-566 Alpha Re-writable Gravity Processor?". Works every time...
    Desktop: Intel i7 960 CPU @ 4.0GHz, EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI mobo, 12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 DDR3 RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB Solid State Drive, Two WD 2TB SATA drives, 2x EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked graphics cards in SLI, Coolermaster HAF X full tower case, OCZ ZX 1250w PSU, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
    Laptop: MSI GT60-004US, 2x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD Hybrid drives in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GeForce 670M 3GB graphics card, Networks 'Killer' N-1103 WLAN card

MiseryQ, Hope you don't mind me joining in, but try this for an example.

First type in one word like "registry". Search and see what comes up.

Second type in two words "registry hacks. See what comes up.

The fewer the words the better. Then you can start adding other words as you get the "feel" for it.

------------------
    Seek knowledge and all else will follow

Please post back results - Press Ctl D to bookmark

Information

registry: 2,930.00 hits
    registry hacks: 1,800...

------------------
    Don't click this!!!
    My Side Yard Cam

Makes a difference doesn't it. The more words you type the narrower the responses. Bingo, you got it now. Have fun. Later.

------------------
    Seek knowledge and all else will follow

Please post back results - Press Ctl D to bookmark

Information

You can use any search machine you're comfortable with (I use AltaVista out of old habit and because it's supposed to cover the largest amount of pages/sites), as long as it covers A LOT.

As you've already found out: the trick is the keywords. Use manufacturer names, model numbers, product types, program names, dll-filenames ect. Start with a few (or one) KW and add more as you go and see the results. Remember you can also exclude words (searching for windows stuff I use to exclude a word like "linux") and you can state whether a word should be "AND"ed or "OR"ed to the words you already use (FYI: these are called "boolean operators").

Only remains to say the needless: Practise - that's how it's best learned. Pick a page somewhere and practise how you can find it with a search machine.

------------------
    Karl, Denmark
    ---------
    "..and may The Force be with you too..."

[This message has been edited by kallikru (edited 06-10-2001).]
    Karl, Denmark
    ---------
    "..and may The Force be with you - too..."

Thread Information